Hello, everyone. My name is Madhavan Murali, a mechanical engineering student at the University of Rochester and GCSP scholar. Welcome to Rochester vs. the World, a Sting radio show on science, technology, history, and travel. We play music from all over the world in between segments, including Europe, Asia, and Africa, so be sure to listen in. The show will run as follows:
- Slick Science-We investigate some of the groundbreaking studies that are being conducted every day around the world.
- Worldly Pleasures-We travel around the world to show some of the world’s hidden treasures.
- Tomorrow Today-We show you some of the neatest tech that could change (or refine) our lives in the future.
- The Story Behind the Story-We expose the true story behind some of mankind’s greatest creations.
Just so you know, for every show we play one English song, one Latin song, one European song, one Asian song, and one African/Middle Eastern song.
Miss last week’s show? You can read the transcript here: Rochester vs. the World
On today’s show, February 18th, 2018:
Is there really such a thing as “the perfect crime” or is it all down to science?
Can you find the warmest people in the driest place?
Tired of going to the taxidermy?
Is the story behind Sherlock Holmes truly that elementary?
Make the world ever better, keep your life ever smarter, and like always, thanks for listening.
Special thanks to: Lydia Dake, ScienceNews.com, National Geographic, Wikipedia, Lonely Planet, TripAdvisor, DigitalTrends, Sparknotes, Sherlock Holmes Museum, PBS
Music credits (in order):
- “Thunder” by Imagine Dragons
- “Main Theme” from L.A. Noire by Andrew and Simon Hale
- “Robbery” from Hell or High Water by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis
- “Suite from Zootopia” from Zootopia by Michael Giacchino
- “Apelido Carinhoso” (Translation: Loving Nickname) by Gusttavo Lima-Brazil
- “Nights in Spanish Gardens” by Manuel de Falla
- “Main Theme” from The Last of Us by Gustavo Santaolalla
- “Sanctuary” from Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune by Greg Edmonson
- “Moya Lyubov” (Translation: My Love) by Max Barskih-Ukraine
- “Lunar Colony” from Mario Kart 8 Deluxe; score by Shiho Fujii, Atsuko Asahi, Ryo Nagamatsu, and Yasuaki Iwata
- “Wo Men Bu Yi Yang” (Translation: We Are Different) by Da Zhuang-China
- “Potential Clients” from Sherlock; score by David Arnold and Michael Price
- “Sherlocked” from Sherlock; score by David Arnold and Michael Price
- “Deeper into Baskerville” from Sherlock; score by David Arnold and Michael Price
- “Mamelani” (Translation: Listen) by Naakmusiq-South Africa
- “Mildred Goes to War” from Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri by Carter Burwell
- “City Ruins”, “Song of the Ancients”, “Wretched Weaponry”, “Pascal”, “Dark Colossus”, “Copied City”, “Weight of the World”, “A Beautiful Song”, “Bipolar Nightmare”, and “Peaceful Sleep” from Nier: Automata; score by Keiichi Okabe, Keigo Hoashi, and Kuniyuki Takahashi